What this article covers:
- Creating your first flow
- Adding blocks of work to your flow
- Using rules to filter work items
- How to review, map, and launch your flow
We've launched an evolution of our product, so some of the terminology and guidance in this article might be a bit out of date, and we're working hard to update it. You can learn more about our new workflow offering here, brush up on the new terminology here, and find out how to build your first workflow here.
💡Pro tip: We know you're excited to start syncing, but first, make sure your tools are connected to Unito.
Adding blocks of work to your flow
Welcome to the flow creation wizard!
👉 Goal: choose two blocks that need syncing.
- Left side: select your tool account from the first dropdown and the block you want to sync from the second dropdown
- Right side: repeat the same steps and select the other block you want to sync to in the second dropdown.
- Flow direction: the default selected option will sync work items in both directions. You can change this default option for one-way syncing if you only want items to sync from your one block to the other but not back.
💡Pro tip: if you'd like changes synced across blocks to be anonymous, we recommend creating a bot account.
Using rules to filter work items
If you only want certain items to be shared with another block, you can use rules.
- Left side: click on the dropdown to select the first rule. Depending on your tool, it can be assignees, the labels, the lists, and more. This means that only the items that have assignees, labels, or belong to lists will be allowed to sync to the right side (Masterboard in the example below).
- Right side: repeat the same steps to choose the criteria that items should have in order to sync to the left side (Engineering Backlog in the example below).
Notes: The rules serve a double purpose:
- Allowing specific items to be synced vs. all items in a block.
- Automatically applying a label to all incoming items.
A few examples
Using rules on one side
Only items labeled with Masterboard will sync to the Masterboard on the right side.
All items from Masterboard will:
- Sync to the Engineering Backlog board on the left side.
- Be automatically labeled with masterboard when syncing in Engineering Backlog.
Rules on both sides
Using rules on both sides
- Only items labeled with Masterboard will sync to the Masterboard on the right side.
- The items will automatically be labeled with Engineering when syncing to the Masterboard on the right side.
- Only items labeled with Engineering will sync to the Engineering backlog on the left side
- The items will automatically be labeled with Masterboard when syncing in Engineering Backlog on the left side.
How to review, map, and launch your flow
👉 Goal: review your setup, map your information and get ready to sync
1 - Activate auto-sync: by default, the auto-flow mode is activated which means that items will start syncing after you create your flow. If you'd rather wait before launching your flow, you can deactivate this.
2- Customize flow: Unito automatically defines how information is synced, which should be sufficient for most use cases.. However, we recommend that you double-check that they are properly matched to fit your workflow. To do so, click on the “Customize flow” button. You'll be redirected to the “Map fields and Workflow” page. On this page, the main focus is the row that has a blue gear on the right. Click on the gears to validate that the information is correctly mapped together.
3- Launch your flow: once you're happy with the flow configuration, click on the “Save and sync” button to create your flow🚀!
💡Pro tip: if things didn’t sync as expected, you can edit your rules and field mappings to retroactively fix any mistakes. And of course, if you’re stuck, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team!
Learn how to build a Master Board in Trello.
Learn how to submit requests in GitHub or Jira from Asana.
Not a Unito user? Try Unito for two weeks free!
Already a user? Sign in here!