What this article covers:
- The value of a work management tool like Unito
- How to use Unito to foster collaboration across Wrike and Jira
- Recommended Unito settings
The value of a work management tool like Unito
Project teams, more often than not, are assembled with cross-functional members who collaborate closely on a daily basis. For example, a project workflow may call for new features, once implemented by developers to be reviewed and accepted by the quality assurance or business members. However, putting different teams in the same room doesn’t mean they’ll collaborate efficiently. This leads to a frequent topic for heated debate: which project management tool should we use?
It’s practically impossible to pick a tool that suits everyone’s taste, or more importantly, a tool designed for everyone’s specialized role.
A common scenario is for the business and creative members to choose Wrike, while tech teams don't want to leave their Jira account. This guide will show you how to best use Unito to let cross-functional teams collaborate on projects directly from their tool of choice, whether it’s Wrike or Jira.
How to use Unito to foster collaboration across Wrike and Jira
1) Create a custom workflow in Wrike
Since you’ll be collaborating closely on tasks and issues, possibly handing them off back and forth between the tools, it’s important that the workflows in both tools are compatible. Both Wrike and Jira support custom workflows; you should design them to have similar phases. It doesn’t mean they need to be exactly the same. However, a single state in one tool could break down into multiple more granular states in the other.
Compatible Wrike and Jira workflows
2) Sync your existing Jira project into Wrike
Once the flow is created, you will have a new folder in Wrike with all the open issues as tasks. Feel free to move that project within the Wrike folder structure.
3) Assign each other tasks
Plan your project and dispatch the tasks. Assignees will sync between tools, so everything assigned to you will show up in your personal to-do list, side-by-side with any other task you may have, making personal planning that much easier.
4) Get to work
Work out of the to-do list; in your tool of choice, and get things done!
Now, any time you update a synced task or issue, the change will propagate to the corresponding task or issue in the other tool. This includes comments, changing the state or reassigning someone else. You can instantly see the progress of your team and project without ever leaving your tool of choice, and without bugging someone over chat, email or another status meeting.
Recommended Unito settings
Try out these settings to get the most out of your syncs:
- Create a custom workflow in Wrike to map to your Jira workflow, and move your tasks towards completion.
- Map your Jira and Wrike users, and have your tasks show up in your personal to-do list.
- Enable attachment syncing, and share specs, designs, and screenshots with your team.
- Prefix tasks with the Jira issue number so everyone knows which issue BT-16 actually refers to. Enable in Settings / Wrike / Prefix task title with issue number.