What this article covers:
- How to connect Unito to your Jira account from the Atlassian Marketplace
- How to connect Unito to your Jira account using OAuth
- How to connect Unito to your Jira account from within the Unito app
How to connect Unito to your Jira account from the Atlassian marketplace
The easiest way to connect Jira and Unito is through the Atlassian marketplace. The entire process can be completed right from within your Jira account. To do so:
- Find the “Sync Jira to Work Tools with Unito” app within the Atlassian marketplace
- Choose a specific Jira instance to install to, and click on “Install app.” Then follow all the instructions on screen to create a new account or login to an existing one.
- Once that’s completed, update your Jira email settings to public (follow the step 1 instructions here).
- When you want to use Unito, click on the app listing in the Jira dashboard navigation
- You’ll be prompted to login to Unito. Once logged in, you’ll land directly on the Unito dashboard and you can start building your syncs!
How to connect Unito to your Jira account using OAuth
OAuth is the most secure way of connecting your Jira account to Unito outside of the Atlassian marketplace. To do so:
- Sign up on the Unito website using your Jira Cloud account
- Add your Jira Cloud URL
- From there, you’ll have the option to sign up with via OAuth or through the Marketplace method mentioned above. Take your pick and click “Authorize”
- If you do choose to move forward with OAuth, you’ll need to grant Unito specific Jira permissions. Those are explained on screen.
- You’ll also need to configure Jira for Unito access. Those steps are explained in this article.
How to connect Unito to your Jira account from within the Unito app
Are you already signed up to Unito and want to add Jira from within the app? Go to your Unito Dashboard, visit the connectors tab, and click 'add connector' next to Jira. From there, you’ll have the option to use OAuth, add Jira via the Atlassian marketplace, or to use a Jira API token. If you’re not a Jira administrator and only have basic credentials, the API token is your best bet. To use this method:
- After clicking “add connector,” put your Jira URL in the first box. This should be formatted as jira.example.com. You don't need the https:// at the front, and you shouldn't have anything afterwards.
- Finally, put in your username and API key.
- Make sure that the checkbox at the bottom is unchecked.
- Don’t forget to update your Jira settings, changing your email settings to public
That's it! You're done, and successfully connected Jira and Unto. This is useful for when OAuthing isn't an option due to lack of administrator privileges. Using your username and API key can get you started syncing quickly while you work on getting OAuth permission from a Jira administrator.